The AI Now Institute is poised for rapid growth, and we are thoughtfully expanding our core team. We are committed to finding and developing great people–and cultivating a culture in which original and independent research can thrive.
AI Now is seeking a unique Executive Assistant, with a high level of drive, curiosity and passion to learn and grow in a new, exciting, and expanding research environment. Reporting directly to the two Co-Founders, this job is designed to be an entry-level role offering a hands-on development opportunity on a fast-paced team. If you’re super organized, action-oriented, systematic, and adaptable, with an EQ that is off the charts, we want to hear from you!
This role will begin as a part-time, contractor position (approx. 20-30 hours/week), with the opportunity to grow to full-time.
About the AI Now Institute
The AI Now Institute at New York University is an interdisciplinary research center dedicated to understanding the social implications of artificial intelligence. Our mission is to promote fair and ethical AI technologies. We do this by producing empirical research and by supporting the emerging field focused on these issues.
Housed at NYU, AI Now cultivates vibrant interdisciplinary engagement across the University and beyond. Our work is done through collaborations across an expansive, world-class network that includes scholars, policy-makers, activists and advocates, technologists and industry leaders, funders, and many others. Our current partners include: the Tandon School of Engineering, the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, the Law School, the Stern School of Business, the Center for Data Science, and the ACLU.
Founded in 2017 by Kate Crawford and Meredith Whittaker, AI Now is poised for rapid growth and we are thoughtfully expanding our core team. We are deeply committed to finding and developing great people and cultivating a culture in which our talented team can thrive.
This scope of this position includes:
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANCE TO THE FOUNDERS
You will work directly with the co-founders to manage and make the best use of their time. Doing this work well means thinking strategically as you triage demands on the founders’ time and the priorities of the organization. It also requires ongoing, pro-active and responsive communication with a broad range of internal and external actors.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Email management
- Calendar management
- Meeting preparation
- Room reservations
- Travel logistics
TACTICAL SUPPORT FOR THE AINOW TEAM
You will support the growing AI team in a wide array of tasks and projects related to the organizational development and operations of AI Now.
Specific tasks and projects could include things like:
- Responding to incoming inquiries
- Event coordination
- Editing written work such as blog posts or grant applications
- Preparing reimbursement requests
- Office management and ordering office supplies
- Taking notes at meetings and synthesizing key takeaways
- Organizing and maintaining our Google drive
- Running local errands
- Providing back-up support and redundancy for members of the team
- Approx. $25 per hour as a contractor, commensurate with experience
- Starting at 20-30 hours per week, with the possibility to increase over time
- As a growing organization, we will also have new opportunities for full time employment arise
There are no prerequisites required for this position; we are looking for someone who will be a good fit for the role and for the team, and that person could come from a wide range of backgrounds. The right candidate will have some demonstrated work experience in a professional setting. We will also be looking and listening for the following:
- You are driven by meaningful work, and aligned with AI Now’s mission
- You are a details-obsessed productivity champion and have a knack for creating order and organization; you catch typos and remember to check all the boxes; you meet deadlines every time by prioritizing your work effectively; when there is a lot to do, you are able to stay focused and work calmly in high-stakes situations.
- You are adaptable; you can customize your work-style and approach based on context. For instance, you take actions rooted in clear intentions and informed insights–but, when needed, you can also work in ambiguity, make decisions without having all the information, and learn and iterate as you go.
- You are a thinker and a doer; you love finding creative solutions just as much as you love implementing them.
- You have extraordinary emotional intelligence and self-awareness; you enjoy collaborating with strong teams; you take time to reflect on and invest in your personal development and appreciate working in a “feedback culture.”
- You can work hard without losing your sense of humor. You keep a positive attitude even things are challenging.
- You are conversant in the key technology we use, including Google Drive and Google Apps, Apple OS, Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), Keynote, and social media platforms (mainly Twitter).
- You are able to work on-site at our offices in New York City; while there may be opportunities to work remotely on occasion, this work will necessitate being on-site for the majority of your time.
- You are available to work during standard business hours (for example, Monday-Friday 10:00am-6:00pm).
We value diversity; women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
To apply, please submit the following documentation to Julia Thibaud and by email (send all documentation as attachments to [email protected] with the subject line “Executive Assistant Application”):
- Your resume/CV
- A brief statement of interest (please share what interests you about the opportunity, what you can contribute to the role, and why this would be a valuable next step for you in your career; we’d also love to hear how you heard about the role)
- Two professional references (please include the name, affiliation, and contact information)
This position will remain open until it is filled.
Feel free to contact us should you have any questions about the position at [email protected]
The call for applications for our 2018-2020 cohort of postdoctoral fellows has closed. We will begin accepting applications for our next cohort in the fall of 2018.